The Scharfman Law Firm, PLLC represents clients in gender discrimination claims all over Texas and the United States, and is an aggressive advocate for our clients and their rights. We are committed to helping employees fight for their rights when they have been unlawfully discriminated against because of their gender.
Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1991 and the Texas Commission on Human Rights Act, all of which apply to employers with 15 or more employees, individuals are protected from discrimination in employment in the following examples:
- Hiring and firing;
- Compensation, assignment, or classification of employees;
- Transfer, promotion, layoff, or recall;
- Job advertisements;
- Use of company facilities;
- Training and apprenticeship programs;
- Fringe benefits;
- Pay, retirement plans, and disability leave;
- Employment decisions based on stereotypes or assumptions about the abilities, traits, or performance of individuals of a certain sex; or
- Other terms and conditions of employment.
(Federal Laws Prohibiting Job Discrimination Publication; Questions and Answers: Equal Employment Opportunity Commission – as to Title VII).
Furthermore, the Equal Pay Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in the payment of wages or benefits, where men and women perform work of a similar skill, effort, and responsibility for the same employer under similar working conditions.
(Federal Laws Prohibiting Job Discrimination Publication; Questions and Answers: Equal Employment Opportunity Commission)
Certain filing deadlines and statutes of limitations apply to these claims.