The Scharfman Law Firm, PLLC represents clients in pregnancy discrimination claims all over Texas and the United States, and is an aggressive advocate for our clients and their rights. We are committed to helping employees fight for their rights when they have been unlawfully discriminated against because they are pregnant.
Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1991 and the Texas Commission on Human Rights Act, all of which apply to employers with 15 or more employees, individuals are protected from discrimination in employment in the following examples:
- Hiring and firing;
- Compensation, assignment, or classification of employees;
- Transfer, promotion, layoff, or recall;
- Job advertisements;
- Use of company facilities;
- Training and apprenticeship programs;
- Fringe benefits;
- Pay, retirement plans, and disability leave;
- Employment decisions based on stereotypes or assumptions about the abilities, traits, or performance of individuals of a certain sex;
- Pregnancy discrimination – Pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions must be treated in the same way as other temporary illnesses or conditions; or
- Other terms and conditions of employment.
(Federal Laws Prohibiting Job Discrimination Publication; Questions and Answers: Equal Employment Opportunity Commission – as to Title VII).